Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Hardware in the Christopher Peacock Style Kitchen

The Christopher Peacock Style Kitchen continues to be ever popular. For the elite few who can afford these kitchens they embody a classic, old world style. Popular among the rich and famous, Christopher Peacock has clients world wide and many in NYC and the Hamptons.

For the rest of America copying these kitchens seems to be a popular topic among many kitchen designers, clients and blogs. I have posted twice on Christopher Peacock. The first Elements of Christopher Peacock Style Kitchen remains my most viewed post. The second, Lighting in a Christopher Peacock Style Kitchen, is also very often frequented.
Recently I received a request to find this lighting fixture above in the most recently designed CP Kitchen. The result proved the power of the Internet when Velvet and Linen and Kitchen and Residential Design were able to work together via Willow Decor to locate it!
I get emails weekly from my readers for help locating similar style hardware. After months and months of research, and the help of my readers who also have undergone relentless searches, here are my best suggestions for recreating this look in your kitchen.
The Peacock Cabinet Latches: There are are two types of latches,
the "ice-box cupboard latch" and what I call "solid cupboard latch".
The ice box cupboard latches above, that are almost an exact duplicate, are from Cliffside Industries. They are very high quality and well made. I have these in my own kitchen and I love them.
The CP solid cupboard latch is more common and available from many retailers including Restoration Hardware and several on line dealers.
Resotration Hardware
My readers have commented and I have read lengthy discussions on the range of quality of this design. Some are difficult to twist and, as such, become cumbersome for active kitchen use. Two manufacturers who consistently have rave reviews are Rejuvenation Hardware and Cliffside Industries. These products are very high quality, and are easy to manipulate. Other readers have mentioned that they order several extra latches from Restoration Hardware and return the ones that are hard to open.
Cliffside Industries
The Ice box latches on the Christopher Peacock Refrigerator panels and wall units proved harder to recreate.
Eventually we found the Roseland Ice Box Company. They make a series called the McCray which are reproductions of the 1900s Ice boxe latches. The quality and look were exactly what were needed. I have never dealt with them directly but some commentors have had some issues.

Roseland Iceboxes
The range of pulls available are staggering. They can be found in several sizes from smaller cabinet to larger door pulls.
We have found that Van Dykes, Merit Metal, Rejuvenation and Restoration Hardware had the best selections to emulate this look. I love the RH Aubrey and Bistro Pulls. I personally put the RH Bistro Pulls in my pantry. Other readers have had luck with Kennedy and Natz. This is an area where you can add a bit of your own personal taste to your project.


Rejuvenation
Van Dykes
Locating the CP-like Bin Pulls were much easier, though personally time consuming.


In my own kitchen quest I bought 8 different bin pull look alikes. I mounted them on a board and had my family try each one to get an idea of how they would feel in day to day use. Hands down for quality and ease of use, as well as great design, I recommend the Bin pull from Restoration Hardware.



Last September Christopher Peacock Cabinetry was purchased for over 12 million dollars by Smallbone, a British company who has their own high end cabinetry line as well an umbrella company for several other lines, including Paris Ceramics. Smallbone recently filed for bankruptcy and its rumored that Christopher Peacock, himself, is trying to buy it back. It has even been rumored that he has tried to re hire his craftsman to avoid having them lose their jobs.
Sothebys

We can only hope that Mr. Peacock is able to help keep the cabinetry business alive. Otherwise, we will need to find someone new to turn to for inspiration. All the links highlighted bring you to the exact product mentioned under each heading. I hope this helps my many readers who continue to use the Christoper Peacock Style as a source of inspiration for creating their own beautiful interiors. If anyone else has a good source do let me know so I can share it.

All photos Christopher Peacock Designs unless otherwise noted


No comments:

Post a Comment